Registration Upload Process Described:
Every course in Banner has a course shell in eLearning. Students will be added to the courses one (1) business day before classes begin and will be updated throughout drop/add. An instructor does not have to request a normally scheduled course to be created or enrolled. The instructor must go into the eLearning course to activate it before students will be able to have access.
Midway through the current semester, the following semester's instructor enrollment will be processed. This information is pulled from Banner. Periodic updates will be done to the instructor enrollment throughout the remainder of the semester.
Schedule For Student Enrollment Into Classes:
Student enrollments take place one (1) business day before classes begin and are updated throughout drop/add. To have students enrolled by 9 a.m., rolls must be processed by 1 p.m. the previous day. So, if a student changes his schedule in Banner after 1:00 p.m. on Monday, his new schedule will not be reflected in eLearning until Wednesday by 9 a.m. His changes will not be picked up until the Tuesday 1 p.m. run. Students are NOT unenrolled automatically from eLearning. Please contact the instructor of the class you need to be removed from or Haley Carter/John Williams to process this request.
Gradebook Not Showing All The Students Listed On Your Banner Roll
The good news is that you can try and manually add students into your course yourself. If a student has a 924 Number in eLearning, he/ she can be added manually into your class.
However, students who enroll late or do not have a 924 Number inside the eLearning system (NEW STUDENT) will need to wait for the next upload to be added.
Instructions for Adding Students Who Are Not Appearing In The Grade Book
- Once inside your section:
- Click on the Teach tab
Click on the grade book (Your students that were automatically enrolled appear here)
- Compare your current banner roll and determined who needs to be added.
- Click on the ADD MEMBERS button at the bottom
- Enter the 924 number of the missing student
- Check the box next to student
- Click on the ADD button
- You can continue to add students by entering in their 924 number or if you are finished click on the SAVE button
- Remember to click the SAVE BUTTON when finished.
- This process will add all the students unless they are "brand new to GSC" and not in our eLearning database.
- Students who were not added will be uploaded when the file in complete.
All eLearning (Vista) sections will be automatically populated and updated from Banner data at the beginning of each semester if not before. Just before the semester begins, student users will be enrolled in the eLearning section automatically. (If you do not want your students to have access immediately, "deny access" through the gradebook tab. When your section is ready to go -- when you are ready to "open the classroom door" -- you will need to Grant Access to student members again.
Students in Gradebook That Are Not On Banner Roll:
It is important to note that our Banner extracts pull any student who is enrolled in the class the moment the extract is made. Since students may enroll and drop a number of classes as they fish for a schedule, your eLearning section roll may have a number of students no longer on your Banner roll. Because it is impossible for eLearning to determine who the "real" students are, eLearning will never delete students from your roll. And for you, instead of deleting these students, we encourage you to DENY ACCESS to any students who are not on your Banner roll, as these students will otherwise have full access to your class materials. This means carefully comparing your Banner roll and eLearning gradebook member list during registration and the first week of class.
Granting Student Access If You Denied Them Access Before:
- To Grant Access to students in your Section, click the "Teach" tab, and go into your Gradebook and click the "Members" tab. Notice on the right hand side if all members are showing on one page. (You can click "Edit Paging" and increase the number of records per page to get all students on one page.)
- Click the check box at the top of the page to "select all" records. Then scroll to the bottom of your gradebook and click the [Grant Access] button.
- Once you grant students access to the section, the class section is open for business.
- These instructions are basically the same for denying access except substitute the [Deny Access] for Grant Access.
eLearning will NOT delete students who drop your class. We recommend that you deny those students access rather than deleting them from your Vista roll. Deleting removes all traces of a student, as though they had never been in class. Not a good idea if this student gets re-enrolled OR if a grade challenge arises later on.
Is Your Course Listing Getting Too Long?
Inside eLearning you have the option to show or hide course links on the Course List. Hiding a course link does not remove the course or change your enrollment, access, or activity in the course it just frees up your menu to show only the courses that you are currently using.
To use this feature:
- Login to eLearning
- Click on the pencil in the right hand corner of your Course List menu.
- Then use the controls to toggle courses to be hidden or shown.
If you have further questions with this feature please contact the 24/7 Online Support Center.