So, you've decided you would like to go on a study abroad program....what's next?
Identify your program of choice
- Ask yourself some basic questions:
That should help you narrow the choices. Now see if you meet the requirements of the program.
- Have I always dreamed of going to one particular place?
- Do I want to do something special related to my major, or am I interested in a broader cultural experience?
- How long do I want to study abroad... several weeks, a semester, a year?
- Is there a language proficiency requirement?
- Do I have to have a certain major or other academic prerequisites?
- Do I have to be in a certain year (freshman, sophomore, junior)?
Now, schedule an appointment with a study abroad advisor to go over the application process.
Apply for any financial aid, scholarships, or STARS work study that you may need.
Apply for a passport if you do not have one.
Schedule any immunizations, medications, or other pre-departure medical procedures that are necessary based on your destination and your personal medical history.
Keep up with payment dates for your program. Be sure to meet program deadlines.
If registering for classes at GSC as part of your study abroad program, be sure to pre-register for those summer courses and pay any tuition you may owe.
Attend orientation meetings, complete any pre-trip assignments.