Each year, incoming faculty are invited to participate in the Teaching Excellence Preparation Program (TEP Program). Faculty hired at the instructor or assistant professor level should participate in the program. It is designed to enhance the level of instruction in the classroom and help new faculty integrate into the campus community, while starting them on the path of professional development.
Participants in the program must:
- Complete a course for faculty (September through April)
- The Successful, Reflective College Teacher (online and monthly meetings)
- A course focused on theories and pragmatic skills of higher education teaching. Topics include mastery skills to
- manage the classroom environment
- create meaningful classroom activities
- learn about motivation theories
- develop learning outcomes and assessment
- understand and maximize student learning styles
- develop awareness of disabilities and diversity in the classroom
- develop ways to engage effectively with all students
- Text: Robert Boice, Advice for New Faculty Members
Participate in an extended orientation program.
If tenure-track, attend workshops on preparing for promotion and tenure:
- The Road to Promotion and Tenure is generally offered in January, either in a teleconferenced format or in separate workshops for each campus. This workshop includes information on preparing the annual self-evaluation as well as laying the groundwork for a successful promotion and tenure process.
Those who successfully complete the program receive a $200 bonus added to their annual salary in their second year.
A modified version of the TEP program is also open to adjuncts. The Teaching Excellence Program for adjunct faculty is composed of the online course for faculty teaching excellence. Adjunct faculty who complete the TEP program will be paid at the higher rate of $750/credit hour and will receive a certificate of completion for the Teaching Excellence Program.
Click here to register online by August 31.
We would like to acknowledge those who went beyond their assigned duties by completing this program.
Click here to see a listing of past recipients.